Monday 6 May 2013

Manali Magic! Day 1 – By Sanjeev Nanda



A 40-km drive from Kullu, north of Himachal Pradesh, India is Manali. It nestles on the edge of a valley through which the National Highway runs leading you to Leh, another stunning destination to visit in India.

The journey had just begun. It was during the month of January and the moment I arrived, I was welcomed with the sting of the freezing cold of Manali. The first thing I did once I set foot was to try the local specialty, flavored hot tea and delectable snacks to go with it were refreshing!

The landscape of Manali is breathtaking! The first thing I noticed was the series of undulating landscape, valleys, and mountain ranges that surrounds this hill station. The drive was worth every moment of my time and I would recommend a road trip versus taking a rail. You will instantly notice its well-defined snow-capped peaks, the stunning Beas River, clear as crystal, meandering through the crevice.

Along the River, you will notice thick deodar and pine trees abound with greenery, pockets of small fields and fruit orchards that truly pull you closer to nature. Manali is a trekker’s delight, the routes through Lahaul-Spiti, Bara Bhangal in Kangra, and Zanskar ranges, are worth exploring. Whether it is the ancient Temples, picturesque sightseeing spots, and adventure undertakings, Manali has loads to keep you well occupied.

Manali is indeed the land of snow, mist, tranquility and serene beauty. The wonderful sight of the snow-capped mountains adding a stunning backdrop to the quaint town is a mesmerizing sight. Clouds making their way through the cliffs and gorges, and the cascading River Beas gushing forth to announce its arrival is captivating and a photographer’s delight!

I stayed at a guest house with no fixed itinerary in my pocket. All I had was my backpack and a mind filled with the list of adventures to look forth to. Early morning I ventured to view the stunning Snow Point site near Kothi, a place extensively used by Bollywood to scene their songs. It was a sight to behold. The white-laden landscape was captivating and all I could think was to catch hold of a ski suit, related gadgets and ski around.

After a wonderful skiing session over the slopes of Manali, I proceeded to the Manali Club House to relish some of the best Indian recipes. The food instantly captured the essence of India. It brought in loads of warmth and a feel of rejuvenation. I got back to the guest house with a sense of accomplishment that my first day in Manali was indeed a pleasurable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment